Top Menu

REVIEW - Toy Story 2 (1999)




"You'll believe a man can CRY...!"

The first time I saw Toy Story 2 (1999), I was in my 1st grade of primary school which means I was immune to any emotional feelings whatsoever and what I only cared for, was bright colorful fun animated film that came up with shiny Happy Meal toys. Seriously, I almost completed all Toy Story 2 Happy Meal toys when it first released (I only missed Mr. & Mrs. Potato Head and Army Men, btw). At the time, as normal everyday 7 years old kid, I didn’t understand the emotional premise which Toy Story 2 offered. Luckily, this didn’t last for more than 15 years when I decided to revisit it again in around 2010 – 2011; and I really couldn’t help myself crying on the “When She Loved Me” scene. Dang, it really stroke me deeply that my tears were falling down uncontrollably (no shit, it’s for real).

Not being too emotional (and hyperbolic) though, I loved Toy Story 2 more than the first one. It’s surely developed to its fullest potential in terms of plot, aesthetics, character development and of course, technical aspects. The dynamic duo, Tom Hanks and Tim Allen, returns as Woody and Buzz respectively; joined by the new voice talent casts: Joan Cusack (Jessie), Kelsey Grammer (Stinky Pete), Wayne Knight (Al), Estelle Harris (Mrs. Potato Head) and Joe Ranft (Wheezy) among others. Though the plot seems simple, but I am amazed on how John Lasseter and the other writers could stuff several sub-plots and flashbacks which effectively support the main story (which one of them turns out to be a homage to the classic space opera movie, if you know which one I mean *wink wink).

Well in short, I love Toy Story 2; I think it’s masterfully written and directed, and I’m grateful they opted to feature it as theatrical film rather than just as a direct-to-video release. And as most of Pixar movies do, the film definitely resonates not only for children, but also adults as well.

5 out of 5.

Post a Comment

All contents and properties are created by (C) 2020 Leonard Chung. You may not use without permission.
Designed by OddThemes | Distributed by Gooyaabi Templates