Top Menu

Leo's 2020 Oscar Predictions

Your preferences may vary, and I still want to be your friends. But I know who I’m rooting for. Here are my 2020 Oscars predictions on who will win the Big Six: (for each category – Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress)

Best Picture
Welp, right of the gate. It’s difficult. I love the look and the scope of Scorsese’s The Irishman; my mixed emotional feelings while watching Marriage Story; and as a kid raised in Asian culture, I could relate to Bong Joon-ho’s social commentary in Parasite. Hell, I even hope Joker could win and break the curse of “no Oscar winning comic book movie”. However, my personal choice is always the one and only: Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood. I love when it comes to Tarantino’s being the real Tarantino: in full control, confident, mature and surprisingly full of warm-like atmosphere. It’s a great period piece and surely Tarantino’s love letter to the industry he obsessed since he was a kid. Although it might be too good to be truth, but it looks like Sam Mendes’ war epic 1917 will win the race. It has won many allocades and awards, and hey, it is by default, has all the Oscar-worthy checklists checked. 

Best Director
There’s a high chance Sam Mendes will win the race for 1917 and seems like it would probably come true. But come on, the winner (or at least in my opinion) for this race should be either Quentin Tarantino or Bong Joon-ho. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood is the celebration of Tarantino’s grand fiesta of filmmaking: commanding scenes with confidence, getting better in every film he made and overseeing 1969 Los Angeles landscape with almost inhuman precision. Plus, he got to direct two of greatest actors in our generation in the same screen. Where do you think you can get that in a movie? Conversely, if Tarantino’s going big and epic for his newest flick, then Bong Joon-ho’s Parasite is the exact opposite. It’s small, self-contained, and does have an indie sensibility to it with minimalist set pieces. The film is a pure simplicity yet complex at best. Relying much on Joon-ho’s direction, his capability to build suspense and comedy then molds them to one of the best social commentary drama which every people could relate.

Best Actor
To me, without question the winner will and should be Joaquin Phoenix. He’s the ace in the hole that determines this Todd Philips’ standalone Batman spin-offs to be either good or bad. Joker is an actor’s picture and the reason the film works very well is mainly because Phoenix’s tour de force performance. If there’s one performance that could probably match Phoenix’s Joker, then my second pick would be Adam Driver in Marriage Story. But my whole bet is on Phoenix.

Best Actress
Honestly I didn’t recognize that Renée Zellweger’s playing Judy Garland in Judy. She’s like a real chameleon in this film and transforms as somewhat the authentic embodiment of Garland herself. Her performance and physical appearance made me remember of Charlize Theron’s transformation as Aileen Wuornos for Monster (2003). It’s impressive and I think she will nab her second Oscar for her performance in this movie.

Best Supporting Actor
My logic says it will be Brad Pitt winning this award. But I think Pacino’s Jimmy Hoffa is what makes me stay sharp throughout that 3 hour-long The Irishman. At the end of his 70s, Pacino still brings that same energy when I watched him in Dog Day Afternoon (1975) or Scarface (1983). Unfortunately for him, his votes could be split with his other fellow nominee Joe Pesci also for The Irishman. This split in voters’ vote will impact on Pacino’s chance in winning and thus I think Brad Pitt’s win for Best Supporting Actor is a safe bet.

Best Supporting Actress
Well I love all the actresses in this category. I am currently building up my fandom over Florence Pugh (thanks to her stellar performance in Midsommar); the legendary Kathy Bates finally resurfaces to be one of our finest actresses in generation; ScarJo’s fine performance; and I love what Margot Robbie always does. God should give her an Academy Award soon. However, when it comes to this race, my pick will come to the one and only Laura Dern in Marriage Story. Just watch her monologuing about the society pressure on mothers. An unforgettable scene. 

Make sure to make your predictions for 2020 Oscars...!


Post a Comment

All contents and properties are created by (C) 2020 Leonard Chung. You may not use without permission.
Designed by OddThemes | Distributed by Gooyaabi Templates